Saturday 14 May 2011

I've Walked Through the Valley

I have something on my mind that I've been itching to get out. There's not really a place or time to just "work this into conversation", so I choose to use my blog as an outlet! ;0)

I've walked through the valley. My husband has had a severely broken leg. So badly so that the doctors thought he may lose his foot. He went through 18 months of grueling physical therapy. And on top of it all ended up losing his job because he was a "safety hazard". He was injured at work doing a job he was told to do. They were already liable and didn't want him coming back and re injuring himself so they wouldn't allow him to come back saying he was physically unable to do the job and would be a safety hazard. He was out of work for a total of three years.

I've walked through the valley. My daughter had back surgery at 15 years old. At the worst of her pain she literally could not stand up straight and would tremble from head to toe from the pain. She would lay in bed at night and shake uncontrollably because the pain was so excruciating that she could not relax her body and sleep. This went on for 8 months. No one wants to suspect a back problem for a 15 year old, so a diagnosis was a long time coming. She still has 3 bulging discs and arthritis in her back. She also has bursitis in her hip. She's 21 and she works every single day with pain. In addition to the back surgery when she was 17 she was hospitalized for a week because she was dizzy, throwing up, had constant debilitating headaches, and a near fatal sodium level. Diagnosis SIADH (Syndrome of Inappropriate Anti-Diuretic Hormone) Cause unknown. She is still treated for that and will most likely have it for the rest of her life. Long term prognosis for someone her age with this is unknown because it is very rare for someone her age to have it.

I have been through the Valley but Praise God we've come out on the other side. I'm not in the Valley now and I WILL NOT apologize for that. I'm tired of having to feel like I have to hide that my children are not wayward, my marriage is not crumbling, my finances are currently good, I have a place to live, food to eat, clothes to wear and I will Praise the Lord for those things because He is the one who gave them to me! My daughter still has health issues and has some level of pain nearly all the time. My husband still has pain, walks with a limp and has days when it's very painful for him to work, but he keeps going. Each day that we can get out of bed and live we are thankful for that!! God is good!

Somewhere along the way it has become a no-no to admit that God has been good to us and life is not all sour pickles! I'm not saying you should constantly brag about having "things", but I'm happy to say that my life is good! BUT!!! I've been through the Valley! I know what it's like. More than likely before I die I will go through the Valley again, but for now I'm going to enjoy not being there! LOL

Being in the Valley gives us appreciation for life that we may not have had if we hadn't been through some trials! Before going through the valley I probably would have complained about things that I no longer complain about. There are some things I'm no longer concerned about. To an outsider maybe my life isn't as good as I think it is, but I've been through times that make me realize how precious life and family are!

I am not saying we don't have bad days here, but over all I'm happy to wake up each morning and live my life. I'm happy that God has allowed me to be me! I love my family and my life! I will not be sorry for that or try to hide it!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

AMEN!!! This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing

Karen Twombly said...

I am so happy for you!! :) :) ...And I totally understand!! I've been through the valley too...and am now in a season of blessing...and I have felt the same as you and I am still walking through it!!
I know I need to praise God big time but I feel very self conscious sharing and I know that ought not be!!
I am praying for your daughter today for total healing. Have a wonderful day! :) :)
Love, Karen

Trish said...

Thank you both so much for commenting. I might add that all of the things I mentioned happened in an 18 month period minus the extra time it took for my dh to get back to work. I think it's a shame that we feel like we can't brag on the goodness of God for fear of offending someone. I know when we were without pay for so long it was hard, but I was never bitter towards others who were better off than we were. I never begrudged another mother for having a healthy child! Ahhh.... I could go on and on about this. LOL I should also clarify that God is good EVEN IN the Valley! Amen!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...